Dating in your early 20s is weird. It stops being acceptable to watch a movie in your parents basement, or meet someone who is equally as drunk, loud, and just as “really pumped up about this Third Eye Blind song” as you at a frat party. You actually have to put forth effort if you want to meet new people, and putting forth effort into something that uncomfortable sucks. Here’s how to date like a MAN.
1. Open doors. It never hurts to be a gentleman.
2. Flowers don’t suck. They can be pretty cheesy, but no woman is going to stab you in the face for bringing her flowers. If you want to start a first date of romantically, it’s never an awful idea.
3. A fun date is always better than a fancy date. White tablecloth restaurants are awkwardly formal. The kind of divey place with incredible comfort food and skeeball in the back is almost always going to make a better date. But really just put some kind of thought into planning something according to what you think she, specifically, would be into.
4. You don’t need to wait three days to call. The three day rule is bullshit. Don’t hammer her with texts and friend requests five minutes after meeting her, but it’s OK to call her a little early if that feels natural.
5. Ask her about herself. This sounds basic, but a lot of people just yammer on about themselves when they get nervous.
6. Play it cool. Don’t freak yourself out and start asking her if she’s having fun or if her dinner is good 80 times in an hour. Ten times in an hour is more than enough to gauge if she’s having fun or not. JUST KIDDING. Don’t ask her. Just assume she’s having a good time unless she runs away from you screaming. Then it’s OK to ask.
7. Bring condoms, but don’t be presumptuous. Always be prepared, but don’t think that means you’re going to get laid.
8. Be straight with her. If you’re not looking for anything serious, tell her. If you want to break it off, tell her. Being mean for a two minute conversation is still way nicer than just gradually becoming a dick and waiting for her to end it.
9. Never send an unsolicited dick pic. Times it’s OK to send a dick pic: 1. She asked for a dick pic. 2. She sent you nude pics (without you asking) first.
10. Don’t talk about exes. This is never a good idea. Ever.