Governors of South-east held an emergency meeting today at the Government House in Enugu over the increased tension in the region after Sunday’s clash between soldiers and members of the Indigenous People of Biafra, And announced a ban on all the activities of the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB) in their Geo-political zone. The governors also asked the leadership of IPOB and all other aggrieved groups to make their positions on all national issues and submit to the committee of governors, Ohaneze Ndigbo, and the members of the national assembly from the zone through the chairman of the south-east governors forum.The governors took this decision during a five-hour closed-door meeting which was attended by the Deputy Senate President Ike Ekweremadu, President-General of Ohanaeze Ndigbo John Nwodo, and the General Officer Commanding 82 Division of the Nigerian Army, Lt-Gen, Adamu Abubakar insiders informed Paramount updates.
Among the resolutions during the meeting is an appeal to the President to withdraw the military from the region.
See the resolutions, which were read by the Chairman of the South-East Governors Forum and Governor of Ebonyi State Dave Umahi, below:
1. All activities of IPOB are hereby proscribed. IPOB and all other aggrieved groups are advised to articulate their position on all National issues and submit to the Committee of Governors, Ohaneze Ndigbo and National Assembly Members from the South East Zone, through the Chairman, South East Governors Forum.
2. All Governors of South East Zone are to ensure compliance in their respective State.
3. South East Governors Forum, Ohaneze Ndigbo and National Assembly Members do hereby reinforce their commitment to a united and indivisible Nigeria.
4. We also reinforce our desire for the restructuring of Nigeria where all National issues will be discussed and amicably settled to achieve justice and fairness to every Nigerian.
5. We reiterate our earlier position that the November 18, 2017 Governorship election in Anambra State must hold.
6. Accordingly, we appeal to Mr. President and Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, His Excellency, President Muhammadu Buhari, GCFR to please, withdraw the Military in the South East Zone, while Police perform their traditional role of maintaining law and order.
7. South East Governors have taken concrete steps to protect lives and property of indigenes and non-indigenes in the South East.
8. We are in touch with the Northern Governors Forum, they have assured us of the safety of all our people living in the north and we have also planned for exchange of visits between the Governors and to re-enforce the confidence of Nigerians in this respect.
9. In keeping with our earlier position, we wish to assure Nigerians that full investigation is ongoing on all allegations of killings, maiming and other unlawful conduct in the South East Zone within this period. The Governors and the Security agencies are in agreement that appropriate action will be taken against anyone found culpable.
10. We advise all residents of the South East to go about their normal businesses as Government of each State is committed to protecting everyboby.
11. Finally, we advise our people in the South East to please be Law abiding.